#Learn how to get started in cybersecurity
Hi everyone, i hope you all are good. In this article, we will be discussing how we should start learning cybersecurity. As we all know that cybersecurity is continuously expanding at a rapid pace .We’ll discuss
- Learning Sources.
So, let us begin
Anyone who is a beginner or who wants to improve their cybersecurity skills should have knowledge of:
- Kali Linux
- Basics of How Operating System Works
- Bash Scripting
- Programming Language
Kali Linux: A/Q the official Kali Linux site, Kali Linux is an open-source, Debian-based Linux distribution geared towards various information security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security Research, Computer Forensics and Reverse Engineering.
For those who didn’t understand, It is simply an operating system like any other operating system but in this OS, all the important tools and programming languages that are required for ethical hacking are preinstalled. So, you can access and use all of them at one place. Learning how to use kali linux will ultimately boost your ethical hacking knowledge as well as linux knowledge. Knowledge of linux is very important because:
- Many web severs on the internet use linux.
- It is very flexible compared to Windows.
- Installation of any cybersecurity tool is easy.
And many others…
Basics of How Operating Systems Works: As a cybersecurity researcher, you should know how the operating system is working. For example, if you want to target a windows machine, then you are going to create a payload(a tool that will hack windows) in exe file format because you know that exe will execute smoothly on any windows machine.
Networking: You should know at least some basics about networking. This includes things like IP, Private IP, Public IP, TCP/UDP Connections, Ports etc.
Bash Scripting: Bash scripting will help you to automate your task. For example, if you your task is to scan an organization for security loop holes which have 100 domains, then it will be very time consuming if you start visiting domains one by one and then look for security loop holes. To make this easy, you can just automate this task via any bash scripting language.
Programming Language: You should at least learn one programming language. Learning programming language will not only gives you the power to create your own tools but also it will make you understand workings of other tools as well. It will help you to understand the web server’s back-end logic with ease. I suggest you to learn Python as it can be use for multiple purpose.
There are multiple free as well as paid sources to learn cybersecurity. I am going to list some of them here:
- https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com(Best site for beginner)
- https://www.cybrary.it(They provides free as well as paid courses)
- https://bepractical.tech/category/cyber-security/ (Intermediate)
- https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-ethical-hacking-from-scratch/ (Best for beginners)
- https://www.udemy.com/course/hacking-windows-with-python-from-scratch-2022/ (Intermediate)
- https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-python-and-ethical-hacking-from-scratch/ (Intermediate)
- https://www.youtube.com/c/BittenTech (Hindi)
- https://www.youtube.com/c/TechChipNet (Hindi)
- https://www.youtube.com/c/Nahamsec (Intermediate)
Some of the reputed certifications in cybersecurity for beginners are:
- OSCP: https://www.offensive-security.com/pwk-oscp/
- CEH: https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/
- eJPT: https://elearnsecurity.com/product/ejpt-certification/
So, that’s it for this article. I hope you all now know what are the basics things required to get into cybersecurity.
Check out this article on how i hacked a website by just uploading a file: https://bepractical.tech/unrestricted-file-uploads/